Present Real Conditional
[If / When ... Simple Present ..., ... Simple Present ...]
[... Simple Present ... if / when ... Simple Present ...]
O Present Real Conditional é usado quando nós queremos falar sobre algo que nós normalmente fazemos em situações reais de nossas vidas.
• If I go to a friend’s house for dinner, I usually take a bottle of wine or some flowers.
• When I have a day off from work, I often go to the beach.
• If the weather is nice, she walks to work.
• Jerry helps me with my homework when he has time.
• I read if there is nothing on TV.
• A: What do you do when it rains?
B: I stay at home.
• A: Where do you stay if you go to Sydney?
B: I stay with my friends near the harbor.
IMPORTANTE If / When
Tanto “if” como “when” são usados no Present Real Conditional. O uso de “if” sugere que algo acontece com menos frequência. Ao usar “when” nós sugerimos que algo acontece regularmente.
• When I have a day off from work, I usually go to the beach.
EU NORMALMENTE TENHO FOGA DO TRABALHO.
• If I have a day off from work, I usually go to the beach.
EU RARAMENTE TENHO FOGA DO TRABALHO.
Present Unreal Conditional
[If ... Simple Past ..., ... would + verb ...]
[... would + verb ... if ... Simple Past ...]
O Present Unreal Conditional é usado para falar sobre o que você geralmente faze m situações imaginárias.
• If I owned a car, I would drive to work. But I don’t own a car.
• She would travel around the world if she had more money. But she doesn't have much money.
• I would read more if I didn’t watch so much TV.
• Mary would move to Japan if she spoke Japanese.
• If they worked harder, they would earn more money.
• A: What would you do if you won the lottery?
B: I would buy a house.
• A: Where would you live if you moved to the U.S.?
B: I would live in Seattle.
EXCEÇÃO If I were ...
No Present Unreal Conditional, a forma “was” não é considerada gramaticalmente correta. No ingles escrito ou em testes de situações, devemos apenas usar “were”. No entanto, nas conversas diárias, “was” é usado com mais frequencia.
• If he were French, he would live in Paris.
• If she were rich, she would buy a yacht.
• I would play basketball if I were taller.
• I would buy that computer if it were cheaper.
• I would buy that computer if it was cheaper. Errado (MAS FREQUENTEMENTE USADO EM CONVERSAS.)
IMPORTANTE Use apenas “If”
Apenas a palavra “if” é usada com o Present Unreal Conditional porque estamos falando de situações imaginárias. “When” não pode ser usada.
• I would buy that computer when it were cheaper. Errado
• I would buy that computer if it were cheaper. Correto
EXCEÇÕES Condicionais com os Verbos Modais
Existe alguns formas especiais no condicional para os verbos modais em Inglês:
would + can = could
would + shall = should
would + may = might
As palavras “can,” “shall” e “may” não podem ser usados com “would.” Ao invés disso, eles devem ser usados nessas formas especiais.
• If I went to Egypt, I would can learn Arabic. Errado
• If I went to Egypt, I could learn Arabic. Correto
• If she had time, she would may go to the party. Errado
• If she had time, she might go to the party. Correto
As palavras “could,” “should,” “might” e “ought to” incluem o condicional, assim, nós não podemos combiná-los com “would”.
• If I had more time, I would could exercise after work. Errado
• If I had more time, I could exercise after work. Correto
• If he invited you, you really would should go. Errado
• If he invited you, you really should go. Correto